- In 2017, there were 24 hospitalizations due to asthma among Chatham-Kent residents.
- The rate was 22.3 (13.3, 31.4) per 100,000 which was significantly lower than the rate of 34.9 (34.0, 35.9) per 100,000 for Ontario.
- Over time, rates provincially and locally have decreased with rates in Chatham-Kent being lower than the province in recent years.
Age-standardized hospitalization rate for asthma, Chatham-Kent and Ontario, 2003-2017
By Age Group
- For Ontario, those under the age of 20 experienced a significantly higher rate than any other age group. A similar trend was observed for Chatham-Kent, however not all differences between age groups were significant.
- The rate in Chatham-Kent among those 75 and older was significantly lower than Ontarians of the same age group.
Hospitalization rate for asthma, by age, Chatham-Kent and Ontario, 2017
- Ontario females experienced significantly higher hospitalization rates compared to Ontario males.
- The rate for Chatham-Kent females was significantly lower compared to Ontario females.
Age-standardized hospitalization rate for asthma, by sex, Chatham-Kent and Ontario, 2017
- There were 5 deaths due to asthma among Chatham-Kent residents between 2011 and 2015.